Published by Feiwel & Friends on March 6, 2018
Princess Lira is siren royalty and the most lethal of them all. With the hearts of seventeen princes in her collection, she is revered across the sea. Until a twist of fate forces her to kill one of her own. To punish her daughter, the Sea Queen transforms Lira into the one thing they loathe most—a human. Robbed of her song, Lira has until the winter solstice to deliver Prince Elian’s heart to the Sea Queen or remain a human forever.
The ocean is the only place Prince Elian calls home, even though he is heir to the most powerful kingdom in the world. Hunting sirens is more than an unsavory hobby—it’s his calling. When he rescues a drowning woman in the ocean, she’s more than what she appears. She promises to help him find the key to destroying all of sirenkind for good—But can he trust her? And just how many deals will Elian have to barter to eliminate mankind’s greatest enemy?
One of my most anticipated books of the year and oh gosh it did not disappoint. This book even made it onto my favorites of all time shelf and that’s… that’s a pretty hard shelf to get on. I will say that I am a little sad that this is a standalone novel, but I am pretty content with how everything ended. This is a pretty cool Little Mermaid retelling that I felt was completely unique (I was going to compare it to something else, but this is literally the only Little Mermaid retelling I have read) but still, I loved it!
This book was everything I wanted it to be and more and has now given me one of my favorite characters/pirates/sirens, I don’t even know, I just love these characters so much. Let’s just get into the facts of what I loved about this!
- Elian: My precious pirate prince! He is a beaut and I live for everything he does. I loved each and every one of his chapters, and his thoughts about his future role as king. I’m not going to give any spoilers here, but I think you would all love him. He reminded me strongly of Nikolai Lantsov to be honest so yeah, tis a little hint.
- Lira: Ahh my Siren Queen! (No spoilers here, calling her a queen because she is awesome and badass) Half of the book is told in her POV and let me tell you, she is a handful. She is badass, amazing, she is literally everything.
- The Writing: Was actually really good. I highly preferred listening to it on audiobook though because the narrator was AMAZING. Like I can’t even explain how amazing she is, she literally made the characters come to life. So I highly suggest listening to it. Other than that, the writing was easy to follow and set me on edge (in a good way)
- Plot: Went in different directions that I thought. I thought it was going one way and then nope! It completely took me by surprise. It’s one of those books where you think it’s going to go one way and then it completely turns.
- Anyway, short review. Sad it’s a standalone but it’s a good one. If you’re looking for something dark and fun to read, I highly suggest you pick this up!